So I don't actually have Spring Break, but last Thursday class was cancelled so I rode my bike to see Steph and Anton at home. Oh but first, let me show you some pics from Tuesday.
My arms are starting to get sore from all of the phlebotomy practice.
I'm glad for Tuesday night's walk home if only for seeing this sign.
I thought walking your cat was unique, but apparently Seattle takes
unique to a whole new level with pot belly pigs.
They are ubiquitous enough to warrant a sign!
So now Thursday. I decided to take my first stab at riding in the actual city. I thought it might be tricky, but I just Googled (at the local community college which grants me 1.5 hrs free internet a day) the best route to take to Steph's, scratched down some notes, and it was easy! All the bike routes and lanes are well marked and there are trails all over the place designed for people commuting via bike into the city. Apparently there are still complaints about the area not being that bike friendly, but compared to Paso it's like they are putting out the red carpet for me.
Here's my pre-ride happy face and the bike-counter at the Freemont bridge. The last pic I have of the counter the numbers read 1000 less. I was #1616 for the year! The ride only has a few hills until the very end, cue sound effect....
From the top of the hill. It's short, but steep!
...this hill on 13th street that, like many of Seattle's hills, feel like that scene in Inception when normal reality takes a vertical right turn up. I made it all the way, on gear 1, but without getting off my bike!
Victory!
After catching my breath and arriving triumphantly at the Larsen's, we ( read Steph) gave Anton a sponge bath.
Then the three of us took a walk around the Crown of Queen Anne. It's a cute strip of shops and restaurants with all sorts of variety. There's a nice olive oil shop with tasting available, a few game stores, and of course interesting dining. Plus it has El Diabolo coffee, which I've already mentioned before. Steph treated me to coffee, since she was craving and I wasn't spending money per my one week challenge. Such a nice friend, isn't she? I have to admit that I did have a bit of a panic flash back from my chained to the weatheradventure. Fortunately, all was sunny on this nice spring day.
In case you are wondering, I still hear the "slurping" sound when my skin hits sunlight. A few more weeks of this outdoorsiness and it might go away, maybe.
No comments:
Post a Comment