| It's like they were saying, "Don't do it! Go back! No good can come of driving downtown!" |
First, one of the advisers professors, who has been very helpful by the way, started out her introduction by explaining the process by which to get a disrespectful teacher in trouble. It was sort of an example of how to navigate your problems with authority in an effective and mature way. For many of these students I'll bet it was helpful and empowering, but for me, rather as interesting intro to the school.
Second, the extensive Power Point presentation on how to get funding for you education garnered a few good questions about forms and unemployment benefits. My favorite was, "What if you're a felon?"
I love basic math. Brooke got me a little brain teaser book with math problems in it that I would do at lunch when by myself. So, this was a treat, easy math AND people! The test prep teacher was excited to motivate us and convince us that we are geniuses (after the first day instead of the "genius" refrain it turned into "enough to get into your desired program"). It was a slow start into math though. He opened with reminders that "knowledge is power" and public education was designed to teach emancipated slaves the basics, but it's tricky because "they want to keep people uneducated so they are easier to control." He grew up in the segregated south, so he can speak from experience. But, why does fear of modern slavery have to be our motivation for getting educated and where's the math?!?"
Fourth, our math teacher ended every sentence with, "Am I right?"
"Being here and being present are two different things, am I right?"
"The opposite of multiplying is division, am I right?"
(After answering his cell phone.) "When the wife calls you better pick up, am I right?"
I started slightly nodding by the end of the first class and nearly gave an, "Amen!" Restraint was difficult.
Finally, here are a couple of my favorite problems. I also discovered one of the math review packets was a life skills review.
| I honestly stared at this one for awhile. Did they want pounds? Ounces are weight , right? I still don't know. |
| The "math" packet... |
Thankfully, during the second class period, scheduled for 4 hours, we had a break an hour in and the teacher suggested I just take the test now. I offered to help tutor, which I secretly wanted to do more than the test, but he insisted I just do the placement test and not have to return for the third day- score!
My brain must be getting soggy though, I missed a few math and reading problems. Come on' brain- get in gear, class starts April 1st!
am I right?!
am I right?!
1 comment:
You make me laugh Friend! I especially love your choice of words "phlebotomy training class that I want to have a stab at". Fun!
Post a Comment